After dying for longer colour repeats on a chunky yarn, I decided the next thing to try was a self-striping sock yarn.

I used the same method for winding and dying the yarn as I used for the previous experiment and again sectioned the yarn into four equal sections.

Colours used this time around:
a light blue/green – mixed using emerald and turquoise
a dark green – mixed using emerald and turquoise
light purple – straight from dye stock
gun metal – straight from dye stock

The bottom image is the toe of a sock, I could not wait to cast something on. I am fairly happy with how it has come out, although the stripes are not very thick. For thicker stripes I am either going to have to limit myself to two colours per skein, or find a new piece of equipment to wind longer skeins.

First attempt at self-striping sock yarn
Tagged on:                                 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *